BASIC PROJECT DATA – PROJECT IDEA
Project ID: PA1A135
NEED AND ADDED VALUE FOR THE DANUBE REGION STRATEGY
The Sava River is a right side tributary of the Danube in Belgrade. The river is 945 km long and drains 95,719 km² of surface area. It flows through four countries: Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Hercegovina, and Serbia.
The Sava River is classified as an international waterway class IV from the border of the Republic of Serbia (km 211) to Sisak (km 594). Currently, the Sava river waterway does not meet the required navigation parameters of international waterway class IV and does not allow for smooth navigation on 300 days/year for vessels with a maximum draft of 2.5 metres.
In view of the continued recovery of the economies in the region, it is obvious that the need for rehabilitation of waterway transport on the Sava River becomes particularly important. Not only because of its contribution to economic growth, but also because it is an environmentally-friendly and sustainable mode of transport with extraordinary potential and because its development is in line with European transport policy, namely the main objective of upgrading the Sava river waterway to navigability Class IV along the entire route.
The critical section between Puska and Preloščica is the second largest obstacle for navigation (after section Jaruge-Novi Grad) on the whole river Sava from Sisak to Belgrade. Namely, this sub-section is under all criteria for navigability class III, while the need for the whole river is to be upgraded to class IV. This river section is part of the purely Croation part of the Sava which makes this project a national initiative.
This project will contribute to the objectives of this global project which will result in the improvement of the physical capacity of the Sava river waterway. The project will contribute to the improvement of mobility and multimodality in the Danube Region. At the same time, it will contribute to the increase of river transport, to the removal of obstacles to navigability and to the establishment of effective waterway infrastructure management in the Danube region.
OBJECTIVE(S) OF THE PROJECT
The main objective of the project is the integration and modernization of the Croatian infrastructure within the Trans-European Transport Network. As an international waterway, the Sava river does not meet the navigability criteria for the European inland waterways as provided in the AGN Agreement, since it should enable safe navigation for vessels of class IV for 300 days per year.
The project aims at implementing the “Fairway Rehabilitation and Maintenance Master Plan of the Danube and its navigable tributaries” by solving the bottlenecks on the defined river stretch.
CONDUCTED AND PLANNED PROJECT ACTIVITIES
In January 2014 the feasibility study and the preliminary design for rehabilitation of the two critical sections of the Sava River waterway “Jaruge – Novi Grad” (project PA1A134) and “Puska – Preloščica” have been completed.
For the Jaruge – Novi Grad sector the Croatian Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure launched a project for the elaboration of detailed designs for priority measures. For the sector Puska – Preloščica such a project is scheduled to start in 2020.
The technical measures will include:
- Renewal of existing groynes and construction of new T-groynes, which will reduce the width of the waterway and increase the depth of the river.
- Construction of bottom sills on the riverbed, which would increase the water level.
- Excavation of river material at places of smaller depth due to increased sedimentation.
- Renewal of existing and construction of new revetments that will prevent bank erosion.
The Republic of Croatia will benefit directly from the project, but also all shipping companies and industries in the Sava region will benefit from more reliable infrastructure.
PROJECT BENEFICIARIES / TARGET GROUPS
- Industries in the Sava Region (especially steel, oil, fertilizer and agriculture production)
- Shipping industries
- Inland waterway authorities in the Sava riparian countries
STATUS AND TIMEFRAME
Start date: 2020 (planned)
End date: 2022 (planned)
Total budget: 16,000,000 EUR (indicative)
Planned budget consisting of EU co-financing (Structural Funds) and national contribution from the state budget (national part in financing from structural funds). Financing is only partly available.
Project leader: Ministry of Maritime Affairs, Transport and Infrastructure of Croatia
For each part of the project (e.g. detailed design, EIA, works) different project leaders will be nominated.
Address: Krležin Govozd 1a, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
PROJECT CROSS – REFERENCE
- Reconstruction of the critical part of the Sava River waterway in the section Jaruge – Novi Grad (PA1A134)
- Rehabilitation, Improvement and Development of Transport and Navigation on the Sava River Waterway (PA1A039)
- Rehabilitation of the critical sectors on the Sava River (PA1A152)
- European Action Programme for Inland Waterway Transport (NAIADES)
- Platform for the implementation of NAIADES (PLATINA)
- White Paper: “European Transport Policy for 2010: Time to Decide”
- TEN-T Policy
- SEETO Core Network
- Transport strategies of Croatia
- Framework Agreement on the Sava River Basin
- TEN-T Guidelines
- European Agreement on Main Inland Waterways of International Importance (AGN)
OTHER RELEVANT ISSUES
Continuing cooperation and coordination of the Sava riparian countries (secured through Sava Commission) and financing of the project.
Data provided by: Ana Barišić (Ministry of Maritime Affairs, Transport and Infrastructure, Croatia) – 28.12.2011
Last update by: Ana Barišić (Ministry of Maritime Affairs, Transport and Infrastructure, Croatia) – 27.01.2017