BASIC PROJECT DATA
Project ID: PA1A012
Project website: www.bulris.bg
NEED AND ADDED VALUE FOR THE DANUBE REGION STRATEGY
There is a prognosis for the increasing of the traffic intensity along the Danube river (TEN-T priority project 18). One of the components defined in the White Paper which will make waterborne transport more reliable, effective and accessible is the establishment of a highly effective communication system for navigation assistance along the national maritime system.
The river information services (RIS) concept aims at introducing the information services which will contribute to the planning and the management of traffic and transport operations. The introduction of RIS contributes not only to better traffic safety and efficiency but at the same time it increases the efficiency and the safety of the transport operations.
The project achieved the following goals:
- Establishment of the necessary infrastructure in 16 communication points along the Danube River
- Establishment of River information center in Ruse
- Expansion of the range of the services and the system
- Implementation of new technologies and improvement of the system
OBJECTIVE(S) OF THE PROJECT
The general objective of the project was the harmonization of the traffic information services management on Inland Waterways.
As EU Member-state Bulgaria has the obligation to establish a RIS system, which is a part of the trans-European network concerning the technical guidelines for the planning, implementation and operational use of river information services in order to ensure an effective and safe navigation on the inland waterways.
Specific objectives were:
- Establishment of telecommunication infrastructure of the RIS in the Bulgarian part of the Danube River – BULRIS, which ensures full and permanent data and voice traffic from Florentin station to Silistra station and the RIS Center
- Establishment of conditions for interaction with other information systems, servicing the other modes of transport
- Construction of a modern building for the RIS Center in Bulgaria
CONDUCTED PROJECT ACTIVITIES
Construction and delivery of equipment for building and starting the exploitation of RIS.
The BULRIS is part of the common European RIS.
PROJECT BENEFICIARIES / TARGET GROUPS
The project was directed at the following groups of stakeholders:
- Transport: Shipping operators, Inland Waterway Administration, Port operators, Fleet management
- Public Administration: Environmental protection, Custom services, Border police
- Bulgarian citizens and foreign tourists traveling on Danube River
- Trade: Logistic operators, freight and passenger operators
- Inland waterway freight operators
- Transit vehicles and passengers in the Bulgarian part of the Danube River
- Business enterprises from the Danube Region
STATUS AND TIMEFRAME
Start date: 2007
End date: 2013
The project is already concluded.
Total budget: 18,000,000 EUR
EU funds: 13,600,000 EUR were funded by Operational Programme ‘Transport’ (OPT) 2007–2013
National funds: 4,400,000 EUR
Project leader: Bulgarian Ports Infrastructure Company (website: www.bulris.bg)
Address: Shipchensky Prohod Blvd. 63; Sofia / Bulgaria
No additional partners were involved.
Data provided by: Kuzman Genov (Bulgarian Ports Infrastructure Company, Bulgaria) – 15.09.2011
Last update by: Kuzman Genov (Bulgarian Ports Infrastructure Company, Bulgaria) – 31.01.2017