BASIC PROJECT DATA
Project ID: PA1A166
NEED AND ADDED VALUE FOR THE DANUBE REGION STRATEGY
The project’s overall objective is to foster the use of LNG in the inland navigation sector across the Danube, therefore contributing to the European alternative fuels implementation strategy. Framework project: LNG Masterplan for Rhine-Main-Danube.
The project will contribute to the modernisation of services in the Bratislava public port and to the reduction of negative environmental impacts by supporting the implementation of alternative fuel infrastructure.
OBJECTIVE(S) OF THE PROJECT AND PLANNED ACTIVITIES
The aim of the project is to ensure the infrastructure for the deployment of alternative fuels in synergy with other projects on scientific research and pilot deployments of LNG vessels, LNG master plan etc.
In the course of the ongoing pre-project preparation (2017-2018) a feasibility study will be developed for the construction of the LNG terminal in the Bratislava public port:
- Technical study
- Safety documentation for the selected technology
- Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA)
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
The feasibility study identifies the most suitable technology for the production and distribution of LNG.
The construction phase will use the outputs of the feasibility study and ensure the construction of an LNG terminal, including a bunkering station for LNG transfer on the Danube and bunkering options for vessels. The terminal will also serve other transport modes as a fuel station. All activities will be carried out by an external contractor based on the results of the public procurement.
The solutions might be applicable to all Danube countries.
The list of beneficiaries comprises barge operators, port authorities, shipyards, technology providers, energy industry, research organisations, etc.
STATUS AND TIMEFRAME
Start date: 11/2017
End date: 04/2020
Total budget: 686 856.80 EUR (this amount only includes the costs for the pre-project preparation phase)
EU funds: 583 828.28 EUR are being funded by Slovak Operational Programme “Integrated Infrastrukture” 2014-2020
Private funds: 68 685.68 EUR (beneficiary’s own resources)
Project leader: Public Ports jsc. / Slovakia (website: www.vpas.sk)
Address: Prístavná 10, Bratislava / Slovakia
PROJECT CROSS – REFERENCE
LNG Masterplan for Rhine-Main-Danube (PA1A023)
The project addresses key priorities of the European Union transport policy such as:
- Europe 2020 strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth: to comply with reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 20% (or even 30%, if the conditions are right) compared to 1990, reduce energy consumption by 20% through increased energy efficiency, to meet 20% of energy needs from renewable sources
- European alternative fuels implementation strategy
- The White Paper on Transport – 2030/2050 perspective (2010) & Single Market Act II: emphasize the need for well-connected port infrastructure, efficient and reliable port services and transparent port funding
- A roadmap to moving to a competitive carbon economy in 2050 (2011): the EU should prepare for reductions in its domestic emissions by 80% by 2050 compared to 1990
- Ports: an engine for growth COM (2013) 295 final: setting up the EU strategy needed to help ports implement good practices and sound managerial approaches while fully respecting diversity and particular circumstances
Data provided by viadonau, based on information provided by the Slovak Ministry of Transport – Status 01.10.2018