BASIC PROJECT DATA – PROJECT IDEA
Project ID: PA1A076
Project website: www.gabcikovo.gov.sk
NEED AND ADDED VALUE FOR THE DANUBE REGION STRATEGY
Construction of a multipurpose hydro-technical system for
- power generation,
- flood prevention and
- improvement of navigation conditions
on the Hungarian-Slovakian common border section of the Danube.
OBJECTIVE(S) OF THE PROJECT
To ensure the required fairway parameters of the Danube waterway on the common border between the Slovak Republic and Hungary from river-kilometre 1,811.00 to 1,708.20 (Danube Commission recommendations).
ORIGINALLY FORESEEN PROJECT ACTIVITIES
Project activities would have depended on an agreement with the Hungarian authorities, as this stretch of the Danube waterway constitutes the common border between the Slovak Republic and Hungary. Only part of the project was finished in Slovakia: the Gabčíkovo Water Structure.
All Danube countries – to fully improve the navigability of the Danube waterway, to ensure required parameters of the Danube waterway inter alia in accordance with national and European requirements and objectives.
PROJECT BENEFICIARIES / TARGET GROUPS
In the field of inland waterway transport:
- freight forwarders, logistic service providers, inland ship owners, inland terminal operators, shippers, cargo handlers, ship brokers and agents, ship construction, equipment producers, multimodal transport operators and other users of the Danube waterway
and for other stakeholders:
- electricity companies, municipalities, regional government, economic sector, environmental sector, water management sector, recreational sector etc.
STATUS AND TIMEFRAME
Start date: 1977
End date: t.b.d.
For the project, a treaty was signed in 1977. In 1997, the International Court of Justice in The Hague issued a verdict that both Hungary and Slovakia had breached certain legal obligations of the treaty. Discussions about solutions to the dispute are ongoing within the Slovak-Hungarian session of the Plenipotentiary of the Slovak Republic for Construction and Operation of Gabčíkovo–Nagymaros Hydropower Scheme.
The Slovakian Gabčíkovo Water Structure began its operation in 1992.
There are no concrete plans to change the current situation.
Project leader: Plenipotentiary of the Slovak Republic Government for Construction and Operation of Gabčíkovo–Nagymaros System of Water Works / Slovakia
Address: Nám. Slobody č.6, 810 05 Bratislava / SK
- Vodhospodárska výstavba, š.p.
- Slovenský vodohospodársky podnik, š.p.
- EU Transport White Paper
- AGN and UNECE Blue Book
- EU NAIADES Action Programme
- TEN-T Priority Project No. 18
- Danube Commission’s Recommendations
- Water Transport Development Concept of the Slovak Republic
- Water Management Policy of the Slovak Republic
- Priority Area 1.a Danube Strategy objectives
- Act No. 338/2008 on Inland Water Transport of the Slovak Republic
- Announcement No. 22/2001 on the Classification of Inland Waterways of the Slovak Republic
- Slovak-Hungarian Treaty 1977 on Construction and Operation of Gabčíkovo–Nagymaros System of Water Works
OTHER RELEVANT ISSUES
Agreement and joint solution with Hungary.
Data provided by: Roman Cabadaj (Waterborne Transport Development Agency, Slovak Republic) – 07.03.2012
Last updated by: Vladimír Novák (Waterborne Transport Development Agency, Slovak Republic) – 20.01.2014