BASIC PROJECT DATA – PROJECT IDEA
Project ID: PA1A043
NEED AND ADDED VALUE FOR THE DANUBE REGION STRATEGY
This project would improve mobility and communication between different modes of transport. It would also develop international transit infrastructure, diversification of transportation operations and would facilitate the development of the Danube region as a whole.
OBJECTIVE(S) OF THE PROJECT
- Provide direct access to short and therefore cheaper traffic routes (compared to alternative routes) from the former Soviet Union to the markets of Central, Southern Europe and in the opposite direction
- General and EU operation of water transport network of rivers Danube and Tisza
- Improving the investment attractiveness of the region through the development of transport and logistics infrastructure, the introduction of multimodal transport
PLANNED PROJECT ACTIVITIES
Establishing the necessary criteria for an international class IV waterway (including the required fairway depth from 2.5 to 2.8 m, the minimum fairway width of 75 metres and no abrupt curves), construction of hydrotechnical structures, construction of a river port.
The project includes the construction of a river port at the junction of three borders (Ukraine, Slovakia, Hungary) in accordance with the priority areas of economic use of the Danube River and the European Union Strategy for the Danube Region.
The Tisza waterway is directly connecting the Danube countries Ukraine, Slovakia, Hungary and Serbia. Opening waterways Ukraine and the countries of the Danube River Basin through Hungary and the countries of former Yugoslavia will have significant implications in the international, national and regional levels, namely at the international level.
PROJECT BENEFICIARIES / TARGET GROUPS
Ukraine’s economy in general and entities involved in economic and commercial activities.
STATUS AND TIMEFRAME
Start and end dates would have to be determined.
The experience of recent arid years (including climate change in the context of global warming), which lead to a significant decline in water levels of the Tisza, necessitated a reassessment of the program capabilities. This had the effect that the interest of the project partners in the region concerning above-mentioned project has dropped. The Hungarian partner “Regional Agency for Investment and Development” has proposed to suspend the execution of this project.
Project leader: Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine
Transcarpathian Regional Center for Investment and Development
Address: Hojdy str. 8, 88000 Uzhgorod / Ukraine
- Law of Ukraine of 10.11.1994, № 232-94-BP “On Transport”
- Law of Ukraine of 17.01.2002 № 2997-III ratified the Convention on cooperation for the protection and sustainable use of the river Danube (Convention for the Protection of the river Danube)
- Regional development strategy of the Transcarpathian region by 2015
- Cross-border cooperation strategy “Carpathia 2003-2011”
Conducted feasibility study of construction of river port at the junction of three borders.
OTHER RELEVANT ISSUES
Creation of a legal framework with the conclusions of international agreements on the use of Tisza, involving the Tisza riparian states. countries through which this river flows.
The development of navigation on the junction of the three borders is possible only if close cooperation of governments that are interested in the existence of a transport corridor is taking place, as well as support from the EU.
FOLLOW – UP PROJECT
Construction of waterworks; obstacles will be solved by controlling the water level and artificial increase or decrease in water level in the river by means of hydraulic structures.
Data provided by: Maryan Berezyuk (UA NCP, Ukraine) – 18.01.2012