BASIC PROJECT DATA
NEED AND ADDED VALUE FOR THE DANUBE REGION STRATEGY
The NAIADES action programme of the EU claims the need for a network of national promotion and development centres to improve inland waterway traffic. Such an organization did not exist in Hungary. In order to fulfil this pronounced need, the aim of this project was to establish a Hungarian IWT promotion centre, which works in the following four general fields:
- Navigability of the Danube
- River Information Services
- Management of the major national ports
- Tracking of the development programs of the EU, utilization in the national deployments for the benefit of transport users at local level and encourage them to use inland navigation
OBJECTIVE(S) OF THE PROJECT
This action, in line with the requirements and regulations of the European Union, sought to support the related governmental organisations and bodies to improve domestic inland waterway traffic as a way of modality, to manage, with a certain project aspect, all tasks that are related to inland waterway traffic (such as management, promotion, education and training, operational issues and other professional queries), and to aid domestic market participants to become adequately competitive.
The action considered the following mission statements:
- “Enhancement of the role and the competitiveness of Hungarian inland waterway transportation” and
- “Integration of Hungarian inland waterway transportation into the European transportation network”.
- Contribution, along with the European guidelines, to the shaping and execution of the effective Hungarian inland navigation policy
- Logistical research and development in cooperation with the members of the public and the private sector
- Development consulting
- Practical implementation of the inland navigation policy
- Enhancement of the perception and the position of inland navigation
- Definition of research directions and issues
- Support of the development of intermodal services
- Project planning, implementation and evaluation
CONDUCTED PROJECT ACTIVITIES
Co-operation agreements were signed with the following education organizations under the framework of the ProDuna project:
- Bánki Donát Secondary School of Transport
- Budapest Corvinus University
- Hungarian Secondary School of Shipping
There were several presentations and demonstrations held at these organizations and at the Budapest University of Technology and Economics as well.
The ProDuna project supported the elaboration of four theses at the concerned universities.
RSOE has published the Hungarian edition of the Manual on Danube Navigation in the framework of ProDuna. The Hungarian edition is called A Dunai Hajózás Kézikönyve and is based on the third edition of viadonau’s Manual on Danube Navigation. The general chapters have been translated; the Austria-related sections have been replaced by information pertaining to Hungary. Among the country-specific chapters we find information on ports, fleet, legal framework or national responsibilities. These sections have been developed in a cooperation effort between RSOE and national Hungarian experts. 1.000 copies have been printed and were distributed by RSOE to schools, the navigation and transport sector and on political level. A digital version of the publication is available online at http://dhk.rsoe.hu/.
RSOE has applied for and gained the membership in Inland Navigation Europe (INE) and PIANC. RSOE has been contributing to the works of the two organizations by means of e.g. providing input for newsletters, promoting the works of the organization in Hungary etc.
During the project lifetime the www.produna.hu website has reached a number of 3.751 unique visitors with 5.222 visits and 10.851 pageviews. 87% of the visits have come from Hungary. 123 inputs have been added to the website by means of news, important event information, etc. The website is still under usage after the project lifetime.
A Facebook profile under www.facebook.com/produna is also continuously updated with IWT-related information and serves as an interactive basis for discussions and sharing documents.
Within the framework of the ProDuna project the English subtitles have been elaborated for the film ‘Danube: Linking us all’, available under http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnzY7oBoZF8.
According to the Description of Work of the project, status quo reports have been elaborated around the 5 pillars of NAIADES. ProDuna National Danubian Waterway Transport Strategy and Action Plan are key outcomes of the project, compiled after consulting with the Hungarian IWT sector. Hungary does not have an official IWT strategy on national level, these documents can serve as a basis for the development of the organisational and regulatory frameworks, infrastructure and assets of waterway transport, including the transport of both goods and passengers. After the ratification of the new National Transport Strategy (NKS) in 2014, objectives of the ProDuna Strategy can be adapted, amended and finalized.
The Strategy consists of four main parts:
- Literature review
- Analysis of the five topics of ProDuna (Markets; Fleet; Jobs and skills; Image; Infrastructure)
- Strategic goals
- Proposal for the realization of the strategic goals
The Action Plan specifies the tasks to be done by inland navigation professionals, state administration and stakeholders. The actions are described in six topics:
- Waterway development
- Waterway administration and organisational frameworks
- Port development and logistics
- Fleet modernisation in the view of environmental protection and energy efficiency
- Increasing the role of inland navigation in the multimodal transport chain
- Attractiveness of passenger transport and tourism
Hungary and Europe (as part of the European network of centres for IWT promotion), creating the Hungarian IWT promotion centre
PROJECT BENEFICIARIES / TARGET GROUPS
The group of Hungarian public authorities comprises of the bodies that, in any and all form, govern inland waterway passenger or cargo transportation.
Inland waterway transport industry, shippers, freight forwarders, logistics service providers etc. The editors of the Hungarian National Transport Strategy who have taken up results of the ProDuna project.
STATUS AND TIMEFRAME
Start date: 01.01.2011
End date: 31.12.2013
The project is already concluded.
Total budget: 177,132 EUR
EU funds: 79,709 EUR were funded by the European Commission’s DG MOVE – Grant agreement: Support activities to the European transport policy and passenger rights (MOVE/2010-246/C2/SUBV/SI2.583679) (direct grant)
Private funds: 97,423 EUR (RSOE)
Project leader: RSOE – National Association of Radio Distress-signalling and Infocommunications / Hungary
Address: Elnök u. 1, 1089 Budapest / Hungary
No project partners were involved.
PROJECT CROSS – REFERENCE
The project has close reference to the NAIADES Action Programme of the European Union by means of implementation of goals in the Hungarian environment. The project has close reference in the Hungarian policy framework to the National Transport Strategy and the National Shipping Strategy. Both documents are under elaboration.
NAIADES Action Programme
The work approach of the ProDuna project is aligned with the PLATINA project initiative and the main initiatives in the EUSDR PA1a.
OTHER RELEVANT ISSUES
The relevant cooperation is necessary with the governmental and private organisations.
Data provided by: Miklós Berencsi (Coordination Centre for Transport Development / Hungary) – 15.09.2011
Last update by: RSOE / Hungary – 24.04.2014